Tuesday, April 27, 2010

what are girls made of?

whoever wrote the poem "Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of" did not know my daughter.

It's hard to say I've hit the "terrible" two's with Reagan when i spend half my time not letting her see me laughing at what she does. she is by far my more defiant child. Noah will try to discuss, manipulate, plead, or spiritualize his way in getting what he wants. he'll often use phrases like, "mom, how would you feel if...." or "mom, you can do that, so why can't i?" or the most recent "mom, i just said a prayer and Heavenly Father told me that even though you're upset, you could still handle things more patiently."

reagan, on the other hand, gets straight to the point. for example, when i catch her trying to play with scissors. I'll take them from her, put them back in the drawer and tell her no. she'll then yell "I WANT THE SCISSORS!!!!" when that doesn't work she'll get these sad little eyes and the poutiest mouth and in a choked cry "i want the scissors". When i try to console her and sweetly explain and reason with her how dangerous scissors are, she'll lower her chin and in satan's own voice say "i want the scissors!" the best is if i've caught her doing something she shouldn't. the other night i came downstairs to find her jumping on the bed and in my big, mean, momma voice i told her she was NOT allowed to jump on the bed. she looked at me for a minute and says, "mom - you go upstairs. ok? you go upstairs." i love that she reasons if i won't let her do what she wants, then she'll just get me out of the room and do it anyway. i'm in serious trouble with this one. no moral compass at all.

as frustrating as her defiance can be at times, it's hard to not just adore her personality. she'll do things that just crack me up. a few days ago she was walking past a mirror and stopped to check herself out. i watched as she got closer to the mirror - tilted her head and looked up her nose. she then proceeded to pick her nose and a few seconds later yelled, "mom! i had a burger and i got it out!" it's the little accomplishments in life that make her so happy.

my favorite story of the week is from a few days ago. it was so sunny and beautiful and the first time she wore shorts this year. she was running around outside and took this huge fall on the grass. hard enough that it actually left a grass stain on her knee, but she just jumped up and kept running - no tears. then she completely biffs it on the sidewalk. huge scrape up her shin and a bloody raspberry on her knee. this time she sits up and looks down at her knee. i'm waiting for the tears, but instead she said, "hey, mom! look! i have colors! red and green."

 


she must be too young to realize you can cry when you see blood. instead, it's all about the pretty colors.

last, but not least, is her singing. she loves to sing. as we've been playing a lot of primary songs in the car these last few months, she's learned a few by heart. she decided to sing them the other night in the bath tub. i caught 'I love to see the temple' and 'I am a child of God'.






as crazy and upside down my world has been these last eight months - my children have always been able to make me laugh. i'm a pretty lucky girl to have them.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

My favorite part of the temple song is "cheese!". I didn't know that was in the lyrics. :)

Terry Walker said...

What a beautiful little girl. Grandpa and Grandma miss her so much, we miss Noah very much too. It is very quiet around our place these days. I love to see little Reagan sing. My very favorite is i love to see the temple. it is so cute to see and hear her sing it. You are right, she is strong willed and really hates to hear no. Just another reason to love her.

Leah and Mike said...

YOu've mirrored my experiences with MilaBelle, she often tells me "don't look at me, okay?" when she's attempting to do something she shouldn't. Hendrix starts kindergarden in August so it'll be just her and me, I'm excited to get to know her more. Hendrix usually takes up most of the decision making time. Great to hear you're well.